Sunday, October 23, 2022

Cicadas of Utah

A shed skin from a Utah cicada.
A shed skin from a cicada found near the U of U.


Cicadas are well known in some parts of the country, but unless they are the sexy ones that emerge in large groups after many years of hiding underground they are ignored by the public. This has caused a common misconception that Utah does not have any cicadas!

This is an odd situation because those of us that spend time in the canyons of the Wasatch Front know very well the screech of the local cicadas. Less common, much less common, is the opportunity to take a closer look at one of the natives. In all the years I have walked and hiked in this region I do not ever recall seeing a live cicada. I am sure I must have see their shed skins, I cannot for the life of me remember seeing one. Until this last summer (2022) I had never seen a live Utah cicada. Surprisingly enough, this one was not in a canyon, instead it was in a developed foothill area in Salt Lake City, not far from the U of U. 

I encourage you to open yourself up to new explorations of the common areas in your life. Whether it is your own backyard or your workplace there is something new waiting for your if you just take a few seconds to see it!



A live cicada found near the U of U.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment